This is a fantastic song that I really like to use in class, especially with pre-intermediate to upper-intermediate students.
It provides a lot of debate material, whether you’re dealing with cultural stereotypes, discrimination, racism, or just a bit of geography of English speaking countries.
You’ll find a pdf file with two pages: the first one is the copy for the student, and the other has the full lyrics for you, just in case.
- Start the activity with a pre-listening introduction about the artist: try not to lecture them, ask questions instead, just to check if they know the artist or not. If not, provide them with a little information.
- Listen once for the general meaning of the song. Elicit ideas.
- Give out copies of the handout, have the students give a look at the photos and describe them.
- Listen again, this time they’ll have to try and fill in the gaps (lower levels may have to listen twice, but that depends on how much time you have).
- Finally, check their answers, ask them if they liked the song or not and why, and start the debate.
[Note: please remember that we do not own the songs, respect the work of the artists who composed and performed the songs, rights are reserved.]